Derry Lubell has a passion for understanding people and a commitment to the care and growth of her clients. She offers an empathetic ear, knowledge born of experience, and advanced clinical training.
Ms. Lubell’s professional experience includes 35 years of work in child and adult psychiatry, child welfare agencies, hospitals and private practice. She has a Master’s degree in Social Work as well as advanced training in:
- Couple counselling – Gottman approach to working with couples
- Trauma therapy – dealing with the effects of childhood sexual abuse
- Psychodynamics – theoretical approach to therapy
- Private practice since 1985, doing individual, couple and family therapy.
- Coordinator of trauma treatment agency (RHAP) for Vancouver Coastal Health.
- Coordinator of an assessment and therapy program (PASTS) for the Ministry of Children and Family Development.
- Supervision of mental health therapists and Master’s social work students
- Consultation and workshops to agencies and community groups
- Speaker at local and international conferences
- Published in a textbook and in social work, medical, and psychiatric journals
- Staff development and training
- 35 years experience working with children, adolescents and adults
- Senior Clinician in Child and Adult Psychiatry, both in and outpatient
- Clinical Instructor in the UBC Department of Psychiatry
- Instructor in the UBC School of Social Work Master’s Degree program
- Consultant to Simon Fraser University and the Vancouver School Board
- Developer and administrator of programs for MCFD and the Adoptive Families Association
- Medical Social Worker with chronically ill patients and families
- MSW, McGill University, 1973. BA, Brandeis University, Cum Laude, 1970
Conferences that I chaired:
- Advances in Trauma Therapy: Integration of Cognitive-Behavioral, Relational, and Mindfulness Approaches with Dr. John Briere
- Personality and Psychotherapy: Understanding how Personality affects Treatment with Dr. Nancy McWilliams
- Beyond Trauma: Treating Child Abuse Survivors with Contextual Therapy with Dr. Steven Gold
- Trauma, Dissociation & Clinical Practice: Treating the Adult Survivor of Childhood Sexual Abuse with Dr. Christine Courtois
- Putting on the Brakes: The Psychophysiology for Making Trauma Therapy Safer with Babette Rothschild
Conferences that Derry Lubell has attended:
- Marital Therapy: A Research-Based Approach with Drs. John and Julie Gottman
- Couples Therapy Level II: Assessment, Intervention & Co-Morbidities with Drs. John and Julie Gottman
- Collaborative Couples Therapy: Turning Fights into Intimate Conversations with Dr. Daniel Wile
- Evolution of Psychotherapy: A Tribute to the Masters with state of the art faculty